5/19/10

These Hands are Deadly

It starts with the hands.
It always starts with the hands.
Other men have words.  I don't.
My words don't work.
My words don't work like that, they can't be planted
in such shallow dirt as your ears.
They won't grow there.
My words don't work there so
I don't plant them there.
I plant them in my mind and in creases
between pages, between journals, between ideas
and they flourish in the tight spaces there.
Tight like embraces.
Tight like anxiety flooding my lungs.
And when they blossom they come like springtime,
flowering through cracks in the sidewalk.
Through cracks in my ribs.  Flowering
through fluffy clouds on blue days
that look like my grandmother smiling. They look like
beautiful things.
And their fruit filled vines sprout from my ears
and my mouth
and my eyes
and crack masts on ships.  And turn every man
that ever made you feel less than what you are
into dolphins. My words are fruit
on a sacred vine.  Fruit
that will become a sacred wine
a wine called poetry.
I squeeze the fruit with my hands. It starts
with the hands.

It always starts with the hands.

These are powerful hands.
These hands are dangerous.  You should beware
of these hands.  Don't let them touch you.
Not even in handshakes.  Not even in touches to your shoulders or elbows.
Before you know it you'll be giving me your name
for no reason other than I asked for it.
That is the very first symptom.
That is how it starts.  With the hands.
Don't let these hands open doors for you
or pull out chairs for you.
Don't let these hands catch you when you stumble.
Don't let these hands offer you sweaters on cold evenings
when we are talking late into the next morning
about life, and the universe, and the things that are in it.
and the fog, and where it comes from, and the things that are in it.

Oh!  But if you're already here
then you've already fallen prey to these hands.
Perhaps you were foolish, but its more likely
you were tricked.  For these hands are devious.
These hands have nothing good on their minds.
You could tell when they brushed the hair from your face
that these hands really wanted to touch you.
And then, only to hold you
steady while these lips have their way with you.
And all the while these hands have been doping you
into something pliant.  So that you lie still
while they move from innocuous stings to
tracing smokey paths along your hips,
over your thighs,
up your belly,
down your back,
across your breasts.
And you will hold your breath until
these hands press electricity into you
and make your heart race.
And make your toes tingle.
And leave you gasping.
These hands will beckon you to come
like springtime.

And then you are done for.

Be very wary of these hands.

3 comments:

Joanne said...

wow!

Meghann F. Young said...

these hands have a way with that pen
the way it give support to...
freely flow ink to that paper
these hands are talented.
not like solving equations to a calculus problem
not like beat boxing in a rap competition
not like carrying a child for nine months & bearing it
no
these hands...
these hands are too much.

Unknown said...

http://somethingkwynish.blogspot.com/2010/05/reply.html

Post a Comment

Site Meter