5/30/09

Mercy and Serenity

Standing watch on either side of your bed
Are two angels disguised as I.V. Bags.
Mercy and Serenity, I think they are called.
At least that's what the doctor said.

And they sang each in divine stoccatto
So fine that I couldn't hear it
But their corus ran straight into your veins
Through gaping tunnels on the back of your hands
Like stigmata in reverse.
And I could tell that you were grateful for the melody
Even though their voices burned like sunlight.

Praise be to the angels of Mercy and Serenity
And to the blessed god they serve.
If it is truly man's unavoidable purpose to suffer on this earth
Then perhaps the only blessings we truly need
From the moment we slip into this burning cold world
Are the mercy of pain's occasional ease
And the warm serenity of sleep.

(Room 8, general ward, B.H.P.L. February 14, 2009)
(Happy Valentines Day, My Darling)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter